Friday, January 18, 2013

Eagles Among Us


It’s no secret that Kentucky plays host to a variety of animals. At night time you can hear the howl of coyotes off in the distance here at Blue Licks, and almost each and every morning you can spot dozens of turkey scratching for food in the valleys all around. Believe it or not though, I can remember a time when even seeing deer was rare. The first time I ever saw a turkey was at a Kentucky State Park. I couldn’t have been more than 4 or 5 years old, but it had quite an impact on me. I was riding in the car with my father, I don’t recall as to where we were going at the time, but as we came around a corner my father stopped the car. What I saw in the middle of the road still to this day is very vivid to me. It was the largest bird I had ever seen; I thought it was an ostrich. The turkey was in full strut, with its beautiful tail feathers fanning out proudly. Its head was the brightest shade of red and purple I had ever seen. My father and I looked at it in awe for several moments before it strutted off the road and into the woods. Now I’m certain that if asked, my father would never remember that experience, but for me, I can’t recall ever having seen a more amazing turkey since.

Now second to that turkey, and mind you a very close second, was seeing my first Bald Eagle. The American Bald Eagle, as you may be aware was a species on the brink of extinction during the 1970’s and 80’s. During that time there was an extremely limited number of places you could see them in the wild. One of these places was at Land Between the Lakes in the western part of Kentucky, and it was due to the efforts of the Tennessee Valley Authority and their hacking programs that they were even still around that area of Kentucky. In cooperation with the TVA, Fish and Wildlife, and I’m sure many other organizations, Lake Barkley State Resort Park began hosting their “Eagles Weekend” events. It was at this event that I first got to see, not only live Bald Eagles in their natural habitat, but I got to meet one up close and personal at the park. At the time, I don’t think I realized just how big of a deal that was. It wasn’t until later that I learned about the toll DDT had on the species and that even in Kentucky the American Bald eagle was found in extremely limited numbers. Today, there are more eagles and eagles nesting in Kentucky than what there were prior to these organizations efforts.

Some of you may be lucky enough to live in an area where you can see these beautiful birds. I was lucky enough to stumble across one early last year right here at Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park. They’re back, and they’re off the endangered species list now, but seeing one in its original habitat is still an experience every lover-of-nature should see at some point in their lives. If you’re looking for that opportunity, then I would highly suggest checking into one of the Kentucky State Parks’ Eagle Watch Weekends. You couldn’t ask for a better family friendly environment to experience this awesome adventure. You’ve got three parks to choose from, each with something special to offer. And if the opportunity arises, ask one of the guides about Duncan Bay, I always loved viewing the eagles there! Take care and good luck!